Monday 1 October 2012

I have let the Blog Posts slip again!!!

I stated at the start of this year I would try and keep upto date with the posting, well, having not posted anything for over 2 months, I would say I am failing miserably. Anyway, this will just be a very quick update on the latest events I have done with a view to try and get the blog back upto speed from now on (don't hold me to this though).

Sunday 12th August - Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1 (50k).
Ran as an medium/hard training run, met the lovely Sandra in the first 100yds, ran and chatted a fair bit until Sandra peeled off as this was just a bit of a jog before Ridgeway 85 (which she was 1st Female for 2nd year running, which has never been done before, awesome). I cracked on a little bit and was surprised to come home 14th Overall in 4:34, which was nice. Good course and good, well spaced CP's, just a little bit more road than I would like in the last 8miles.

Sunday 19th August - Everton 10K
This was a spur of the moment entry while I was down in Lymington with the family, and the fact that the profits support local charities, including a Hospice, meant I was more than happy to hand over my £12. It was blimming hot, and the vast majority of runners were sporting club vests, great, I was going to be in trouble here.
Slightly undulating course around the very quiet country roads, with one drink station at around 5k, but banging it at low to mid 6minute mile pace along with the hot weather meant I was gasping from around 8k and all I could think about was getting a drink. Had a really good scrap with a guy for the last 3k, and only did him in the last 200m with a massive sprint finish. Finishd in 41.13 and 27th of 278 runners, so not at all bad for a plodding ultra runner.

Sunday 16th September - Farnham Pilgrim Marathon
First time I have run this race, and I have to say I was really impressed, great course, well stocked CP's and friendly marshalls, topped off by the fact it was great value for money and a nice medal/t-shirt/goodie bag as well. Met my good friend UltraBobban at the start who was just out for a plod round having lost a bit of his mojo after his brilliant sub24hr on the SDW100 earlier in the year, I on the other hand wanted to race, and race hard.
Rob and I started at our own paces, and I was in the 2nd group of 6-8 runners for the first 3 or 4 miles, until a group of 4 or 5 went away, including the lead lady, who went on to win the race outright in 3:07 (wow). Turns out she is a 2:36 marathoner, so no surprise with that sort of speed, but very impressive. I had a really good race upto about 12miles and was feeling strong, but my right calf started to feel tight almost like it was going to cramp. So every time I landed on my right foot it was quite painful, by the time I got to 14miles I had asked a Marshall where I could get a lift back to the finish!!!
So for the next 12miles I had to nurse the calf round, and stopping to massage and stretch it out on about 5 or 6 occasions, which was frustrating as people were going past me, and I couldn't push the pace on the up, down, or flat sections (arrgghh). Thankfully the course was really, really good, and this helped take my mind off things, and I even managed to push it a little in the last 1/2mile to catch a few of the guys who had passed me, and a foolish sprint finish at the end considering the calf situation. So in the end I finished in 3:38 for 25th overall of 290 runners, so not bad at all, but I had my eye on finishing somewhat higher up, roll on next year so I can have another go.
Rob ran steady and was just over the 4hrs, which considering the lack of miles he had put in over the last 2 months was pretty impressive.

The calf is still causing me a bit of an issue, feels like I have a knot in there as getting the tennis ball onto it makes it feel 85% beter in minutes, so hopefully it will just ease off and sort itself out, but have physio booked for Weds just to give it the once over.

Next up for me is Abingdon Marathon, having been injured for this race last year, I had targeted it as a sub 3:10 attempt this year, but having again picked up a niggle, this might have to just be a jog round for fun, but fingers crossed, as if the leg feels ok I will give my all to go for the time I wan't.

Happy Running.

1 comment:

  1. Will be great to catch up with you in 2013 for some more epic adventures. All the best to the family for xmas and new year.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete